Wednesday 23 July 2014

World Cup not the end of my Germany journey - Low

World Cup not the end of my Germany journey - Low

The coach says he will stay until at least the end of his contract in 2016 and insists he never seriously entertained resigning despite World Cup success in Brazil.

Joachim Low has confirmed he will remain head coach of Germany in the wake of leading the team to World Cup glory this summer.
The 54-year-old led his nation to victory in Brazil after guiding them to three successive major tournaments where they had at least reached the last four.
Low admitted that he needed time to gather his thoughts in the aftermath of such a successful summer but, having extended his contract to 2016 before the tournament, had no serious intention to step aside from the Germany hotseat.
“I did not think about it for one second," he told Germany football association's official website. "I was doing what was agreed upon before the World Cup: that we would sit down and analyse the tournament, as we have done after every tournament.
"I had not extended my contract until 2016 just to terminate it early. But I have been very aware that all the developments after the World Cup could create some new dynamics.
"I needed some time to calm down and to get a hold of my emotions. But I cannot think of anything better than continuing to work with this team, to lead it to Euro 2016 in France.
"I am as motivated as I was on my first day. The World Cup 2014 was the highlight so far but it will not be my conclusion."
Low also bemoaned the international retirement of captain Philipp Lahm, whom has been a pivotal part of the Germany team for nearly a decade, but accepts the Bayern Munich veteran's decision to go out on a high.
"From a footballing perspective his retirement is a big loss, but also from a personal point of view," he said.
"I could not have imagined a better captain. He signified, led and represented the national team in an excellent way. But I respect and accept his decision. Philipp has worked for this success for 10 years. We can only thank him."

No comments:

Post a Comment