Friday 3 October 2014

Welbeck hits out at Manchester United role.

Welbeck hits out at Manchester United role

The new Arsenal striker, revelling in consistent game time at centre forward, scored his first career hat-trick in a 4-1 win over Galatasaray and expects plenty more to come.

Danny Welbeck has criticised Manchester United for playing him on the wing as he revels in his goalscoring start at Arsenal.

Welbeck netted a hat-trick as the Guners thrashed Galatasaray 4-1 in the Champions League on Wednesday, taking his tally to four goals for the club since his €20 million move on transfer deadline day.

The 23-year-old was often deployed on the flanks during his time at United, scoring just 29 times in six seasons, but feels that his good form in front of goal should be no shock following his move to north London, as he is playing in his preferred position.

"Nobody can really criticise my finishing because they don't really see me playing in a forward position too often," Welbeck told reporters.

"But now I am getting into these positions I want to be sticking the ball in the back of the net. I'm sure it's the same with every other striker.

"Obviously people can say I've not scored enough goals but you stick the best strikers on the wing in a four-man midfield and see if they score goals."

With Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney joined by Radamel Falcao at United this summer, Welbeck was unlikely to get many opportunities up front and now expects to grow even more confident as he continues to lead the line for Arsene Wenger's men, with Olivier Giroud sidelined until January.

The England international added: "If you're getting goals and getting a run of games in your preferred position, your confidence is going to grow and performances are going to grow as well. That is something I am really looking forward to doing, building on those performances.

"I wouldn't say I feel different [than at United]. Maybe, beforehand, sometimes I wasn't getting through on goal if I was coming from a four-man midfield.

"Obviously it's difficult to leave your position and go and get goalscoring opportunities but I'm getting into these positions much more regularly now and I'm looking forward to sticking the ball in the back of the net."

No comments:

Post a Comment