Friday 3 October 2014

Leon Balogun keys into Darmstadt.

Nigeria international, Leon Balogun has joined Bundesliga 2 side, Darmstadt and is set to return to action after a long injury lay-off.
It is the dream of any professional footballer to play for his country and in March 2014 in Atlanta, United States, Leon Balogun got that opportunity to play for Nigeria in a friendly match against Mexico.
That match in which Balogun made his debut as a second half substitute set off a chain of events that have led to him just finally signing for newly promoted Bundesliga 2 side SV Darmstadt.
Speaking exclusively to supersport.com Leon Balogun says “am thrilled to finally have a club to play for after a very difficult close season. I must say that I commend and appreciate greatly the efforts of the management of this club - Darmstadt. They first contacted me in August but I was already speaking to other clubs at the time and I told them so”
The other clubs Balogun was speaking to included Blackpool in the Championship in England “that club had a lot of issues I have to say. The manager said he wanted me to sign but they said they could not afford my terms so I came back to Germany. On return, Darmstadt officials called some more so I went to meet the officials and I have a good feeling about the project they have in mind.”

Darmstadt is a city 30 minutes from Frankfurt and they currently lie 2nd in the table in Bundesliga 2 and Balogun after training with the team believes he has made the right decision to sign for them.
“My team mates and officials have made me feel totally welcome. I am also an easy going person so I have found quite easy to mix with the lads. The characteristics of the club are that of a family club and everyone seems ready to help everyone. I also have met some of the players previously so it seems a lot easier to mix with them”
It is not unusual for a newly promoted side to start very well but tail off later in the season when injuries and suspensions start to take their tolls but Balogun believes this might not be the case with Darmstadt “The goal of the club is to stay and be established in Bundesliga 2. The players I have seen look very strong physically and I believe that we won’t struggle too much with injuries as these players look like they can run all game”
Following Nigeria’s ouster against France during the world cup in Brazil, Nigeria’s coach Stephen Keshi mentioned at the post match press conference that one of his regrets was the injury that deprived him of the services of Leon Balogun at the tournament. So, how did it get to the point that a player of quality has had to settle for a newly promoted Bundesliga 2 side?
“I broke my foot in that freak accident against Mexico and so was out of action for the last 2 months of the season. Those were also the last months of my contract with Dusseldorf. They chose not to renew my contract and because I was injured, during the off season, I could not go for trials at any of the other clubs who were interested in me before”
Typical of fate, at the weekend Darmstardt come up against Balogun’s previous club Dusseldorf and he is relishing the match “I am hoping to play in the match. I will be in the squad that is for sure but it will be great to be able to play a competitive match again since that injury but it is incredible that it will be against Dusseldorf. I don’t write the script for me live; God does”.
The strapping defender says he will have no bitterness or seek revenge against his former employers “I had a fantastic 2 years at Dusseldorf and made a lot of friends at the club and had a great affinity with the fans so am not looking for any sort of revenge. They felt the team needed to go in a different direction, did not think I would be a part of it but that is now history. For this season, my focus is to do very well at my new club and repay their faith in me with great performances”
It was not only Stephen Keshi that was gutted at his absence in Brazil:
“It was painful not to have been available for selection because of the injury but I am fit now and ready to contribute to Nigeria’s qualification for the next AFCON. I want to be there. I am available and will be ready for the qualifiers if I am invited. I loved every minute of being in the squad. I was shown great love when members of the NFF board led by Chris Green came to visit me to check on my injury at the time”
Very few Nigerian debutants have had the level of well wishes and interest that Leon Balogun seems to have generated in Nigerians. Before he starts to think of a recall to the national team, the defender has to rediscover his form and remain fit this season. That will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment