Wednesday 27 August 2014

'Gauteng race ideal for local athletes'.


Women's champion Mapaseka Makhanya has lauded the organisers of the annual Gauteng marathon for providing opportunities to local athletes, as she prepares to defend her title next week.
Makhanya won last year's race in a stunning debut performance, clocking 2:37:06 to scoop the R250 000 first prize, and she confirmed on Monday she looked forward to returning to the annual event.
"This race was the first (standard) marathon in South Africa to offer this amount of prize money, so it's a great event for us," Makhanya said.
"It's not even organised by a club. It's organised by an events company that is trying to put something into the sport, so I don't think we should be too critical.
"We need to try and help them grow and promote the race."
Last week, the Maxed Elite professional team confirmed men's champion Shadrack Kemboi of Kenya would not return for this year's race, after allegedly receiving poor treatment from the organisers following his 2013 victory.
Makhanya, however, believed if athletes wanted special attention they should compete in major races in Europe and the United States.
"I didn't expect VIP treatment. For me it's just another race," Makhanya said.
"I can go to a big race overseas, run under 2:20:00 and not even win, and I'd probably earn a lot less than R250 000.
"This race does not invite athletes to take part, and there are no appearance fees, so it's not fair to expect more than they are offering."
She said the Gauteng marathon was an ideal event to launch her international marathon career.
"This race gives me the opportunity to establish myself financially before I compete in major races overseas.
"I now have the chance to make money here, so when I do enter a major international marathon, even if I don't get an appearance fee, I can focus on running fast times without the added pressure of winning prize money."
The third edition of the Gauteng marathon, organised by Ultimate Sporting Concepts, will be held in Johannesburg on September 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment